Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Good Riddance: Reporter Helen Thomas Retires in Shame At 89

Helen Thomas, yeah I had to look her up too, is retiring after a series of inflammatory remarks she made back in May regarding Israel and the Jewish people.  She said that the Jews need to "get the hell out of Palestine" and suggested they go back to Germany and Poland (video).
. . . Thomas said in a statement that, "I deeply regret my comments I made last week regarding the Israelis and the Palestinians. They do not reflect my heart-felt belief that peace will come to the Middle East only when all parties recognize the need for mutual respect and tolerance. May that day come soon.’’. . . . (READ MORE>>>)

Personally, I'm glad she's retiring, albeit probably 50 years too late.  Her comments regarding Israel show not only her inability to be an impartial reporter, but more importantly her heart.

The Jerusalem Post published an open letter in response to Helen Thomas'  offensive remarks stating:

Dear Ms. Thomas, I read on numerous Web sites the remarks attributed to you (and I did not see any denial) that we, the Jews must “get the hell out of Palestine” and “go home” to Germany or Poland. I am convinced that you are aware of the events which took place during the years 1939-1945 but, to be certain, I think it appropriate to tell you a little about my parents and their families
My mother was sent to Palestine from Germany in 1933 with the rise of the Nazis to power by her farseeing parents. The British blockade, which prevented Jews fleeing the Nazi horrors from entering, made it difficult for her and only the pretext of coming on a tourist visit enabled her to enter and remain alive. Her older sister, Sarah, her husband and three children aged 12, 10 and seven did not succeed in finding a way of coming toPalestine and were sent by the Nazis to Poland and from there, their journey to the Auschwitz gas chambers, was short. I understand that it is there that you wish to send me. . . .(Read the entire letter>>>)
Mrs. Thomas is a relic which reminds me more of my racist grandmother than someone who deserves the honor that she's received from her press colleagues and past Presidential administrations.

Thankfully, people have responded in kind to her remarks (from RabbiLive.com which aired the video of her comments):
Helen Thomas has been dropped by her speaker’s agency, Nine Speakers, Inc for her comments posted on RabbiLIVE.com.
Craig Crawford also refuses to work with Helen on any future book projects.
Additionally, Helen has been dropped from a High School graduation key note speaker position.
Ari Fleischer, former White House Press Secretary, and Lanny Davis, former White House counsel, both are calling for Hearst Corporation to fire Helen immediately.

Helen Thomas has retired from journalism after 58 years.

Good Riddance Mrs. Thomas, your kind isn't welcome here.

No comments:

ShareThis